Nut-Crusted Buffalo Tofu (Vegan)
Write a review
- 1 (16-ounce) package extra-firm tofu
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup Buffalo Nuts®
- 1/2 cup vegan egg substitute (such as Ener-G Egg Replacement or Neat Egg)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Special equipment: food processor
- Drain the tofu. Place the brick between two paper-towel-lined plates to press out excess moisture for at least 15 minutes and up to an hour.
- Slice the tofu in half lengthwise, then slice each rectangle into bite-sized squares.
- Season the flour with salt and pepper. Finely chop the nuts in food processor. Set up an assembly line with 1) flour, 2) egg mixture and 3) chopped nuts combined with panko breadcrumbs.
- Toss each piece of tofu in the seasoned flour, then dredge it in the egg. Shake off excess egg, then drop the tofu into the nut mixture. Press into all six sides. Set aside.
- Place a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil. Fry off the tofu in batches, making sure to brown all six sides. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Serve sprinkled with hot sauce. Seen here with red beans and rice, and maple carrots.
Buffalo Nuts - Peanuts with a Zesty Kick of Buffalo Wing Flavor http://www.buffalonuts.com